Monday, December 3, 2018

I am a Hand Therapist!

Mckinzy Bath, DPT, CHT

On November 7th I took a 4 hour board exam to become a CHT (Certified Hand Therapist) and found out early December that I passed!!!!


Ever since I decided to go into physical therapy I knew I wanted to work with hands but had no idea how complex this process would be. I did some internships during my schooling with hand therapists and continued to be interested in it. I decided that while I was on my maternity leave with Brynnley, I would study and take the exam in 2015. Unfortunately, cancer decided to change my plans and I was unable to study and instead focus on fighting cancer and surviving. Chemo left it's nasty toll on my brain and ability to learn and study and I had a lot of difficulty remembering the things I was trying to study. I decided that maybe some time in the future and that once I got my cancer under control that I was determined to get my CHT. I spent the next 3 years studying nightly for this exam. The exam has a passing rate of only 50% which scared me too since I was still struggling with memory.

I didn't realize that while in PT school we didn't learn ANYTHING about how complex the hand and elbow are. I spent hours and hours reading and learning about all the different conditions and anatomy that I never knew existed in the hands. I decided in the beginning of 2018 that I was going to take the exam in November and studied my heart out. I have learned so much and am so grateful that my mind was able to recall and learn new things. I know that Heavenly Father had his hand in helping me to pass this exam. I was in shock when I saw I passed this test! I am looking forward to continuing to work with this specialty and finally being able to call myself a CHT and have those credentials.

No comments:

Post a Comment